DYI Projects > Seal Drafty Windows and Doors
Memorial Day DIY Project: Seal Drafty Windows and Doors
Let's seal drafty windows and doors! When it comes to sealing drafty windows and doors over Memorial Day, this simple DIY window and doors project can leave your home with amazing benefits that you probably have never thought about.
Benefits to Sealing Drafty Windows and Doors
We've listed the top benefits to sealing drafty windows and doors, and they include:
- Save money on your energy bill while keeping the chill at bay. Sealing leaks around windows and doors can help prevent air from escaping, allowing you to maintain a comfortable temperature in your home more economically.
- Drafty windows and doors can make your home feel like a wind tunnel! Improve comfort, indoor air quality, and peace of mind by sealing those pesky drafts. Enjoy the warmth you deserve in your own paradise on earth.
- Block out the noise and create an oasis of serenity in your home with improved insulation. Sealing drafty windows and doors keeps unwanted sound at bay, so you can relax in a peaceful environment.
- Making your home more energy-efficient isn't just great for the environment; it's also a fantastic way to save on utility bills. Sealing up drafty windows and doors is an easy, cost-effective method of reducing your carbon footprint while making sure you're still living comfortably!
- Avoid expensive repairs with a simple seal! Drafts can allow damaging air and moisture to infiltrate your home, leading to costly maintenance like rot or mold growth. Plugging up those openings is an easy way to keep your house secure from the elements, protecting both its structure and materials for years to come.
Ok, so now you know the benefits of sealing drafty windows and doors, it's time to actually get to work!
How to Seal Drafty Windows and Doors
Don't over think this! DIY projects link sealing drafty windows and doors can be a simple and straightforward process. But first things first, let's gather the window and doors materials. Below, find the materials needed to easily seal drafty windows and doors.
Window and Doors Materials Needed
- Window Film
- Door Sweeps
- Draft Stoppers
- Spray Foam Insulation
Now that you have the window and doors materials, let's move to the fun part- actually sealing drafty windows and doors. Follow the simple window and doors steps below and you'll be finished in no time.
Steps to Sealing Drafty Windows and Doors
Keep in mind that these steps to seal drafty windows and doors may vary depending on the size of your project. Ready? Ok, let's do this!
- Combat the chill of winter by pinpointing areas where cold air is seeping in. Check window and door frames for any potential drafts, using either a draft detector or simply feeling around to detect temperature fluctuations from inside your home.
- Make sure to prepare the window or door frame area for cleaning by clearing away any dirt, dust, and debris. Don't forget your sponges!
- Keep out drafts and reduce energy costs with weatherstripping! From foam to felt, rubber, and beyond, there are a variety of sealing materials available. Make sure you measure the area before purchasing so that your home is properly protected from chilly air leaks.
- Stop cold drafts from seeping into your home with easy-to-install door sweeps! Whether you choose rubber or vinyl, these simple fixtures can be attached in a snap; just grab some screws or adhesive and start sealing gaps. Keep the warmth inside this winter without breaking the bank!
- Keep your windows and doors secure against winter weather with some caulk. Use a gun to apply the sealant along the frames, then use either an official tool or just one finger to make sure you've filled any gaps for extra protection from drafts.
- Give your windows a much-needed update this season with easy-to-install window insulation film! Whether you have single or double pane windows, in minutes you can reduce drafts and keep more warmth inside. By simply affixing the film using two-sided tape and giving it one quick blow-dry session with your hair dryer, you've demonstrated refreshingly simple homeowner ingenuity at its finest!
This amazing window and doors DIY project of sealing drafty windows and doors checks both boxes of being very rewarding and a DIY project that can be completed over Memorial Day weekend. As long as you have the window and doors supplies you need and follow the steps above, your finish this project successfully.
You got this! And if anything, you can always hire a window installer if the window and doors project becomes too overwhelming.