DYI Projects > Paint an Accent Wall
Memorial Day DIY Project: Paint an Accent Wall
Let's paint an accent wall! When it comes to painting an accent wall over Memorial Day, this simple DIY home remodeling project can leave your home with amazing benefits that you probably have never thought about.
Benefits to Painting An Accent Wall
We've listed the top benefits to painting an accent wall, and they include:
- Adding visual interest - Create a stunning focal point and add dimension to any room with an accent wall. Whether you want to showcase your favorite furniture or highlight unique architectural features, an accent wall is the perfect way to add visual interest to your space.
- Creating a sense of balance - Transform your room's ambiance with just one wall! By painting a wall a distinct color or pattern, you can achieve a harmonious balance. Perfect for defining zones or areas in open or spacious settings.
- Enhancing the mood - Transform the mood of your room with just one color choice—your accent wall. Opt for a bold shade to energize and excite the space, or go for muted tones to cultivate a tranquil and soothing environment. Choose wisely and create the ambiance you desire.
- Adding texture - Transform your space with a stunning accent wall. By painting it in a textured or patterned finish, you inject visual and tactile interest into the room!
- Making a small room feel larger - Make a small room feel bigger with just a coat of paint! Choosing the farthest accent wall from the entrance or focal point can create an illusion of depth and give your space a spacious feel.
- Updating the look of a room - Transform your room's style without breaking the bank by painting an accent wall. This budget-friendly DIY project is a simple and speedy way to make a strong design statement.
- Highlighting artwork or photos - Transform your space into a personalized art gallery with an accent wall! Show off your cherished artwork or photographs and add charm and uniqueness to your room.
Ok, so now you know the benefits of painting an accent wall, it's time to actually get to work!
How to Paint an Accent Wall
Don't over think this! DIY projects link painting an accent wall can be a simple and straightforward process. But first things first, let's gather the home remodeling materials. Below, find the materials needed to easily paint an accent wall.
Home Remodeling Materials Needed
- Painter's tape
- Drop cloth
- Paint tray
- Cleaning supplies
- Extension pole
- Step ladder
- Paint additives
Now that you have the home remodeling materials, let's move to the fun part- actually painting an accent wall. Follow the simple home remodeling steps below and you'll be finished in no time.
Steps to Painting An Accent Wall
Keep in mind that these steps to paint an accent wall may vary depending on the size of your project. Ready? Ok, let's do this!
- Choose the wall - Make a statement with your room by choosing an accent wall to paint. This wall should stand out with a distinct color or texture to create a unique aesthetic in your space.
- Select the Perfect Paint Hue - Settle on a color that harmonizes with existing shades in the space and improves the desired aesthetic.
- Get everything you need - Make sure you have paint, brushes, rollers, painter's tape, drop cloths, and a paint tray ready to go.
- Get Your Wall Ready - Eliminate dirt and debris by cleaning it. For any gaps or dents on the wall, use spackle and sand to create a smooth surface.
- Protect Your Space While Painting - Keep your floors and furniture free from paint splatters by covering them with drop cloths. Safeguard areas like baseboards and windowsills with painter's tape to ensure they remain paint-free.
- Smooth & Even Painting - For accent walls with a different color from the other room walls, apply a primer first to guarantee a seamless and even paint application.
- Paint the wall - Achieve a smooth paint finish by using a roller or brush to apply the paint after allowing the primer to dry completely. Divide the wall into sections and start at the top, working your way downwards for maximum coverage. Once the first coat has dried, apply a second one.
- Unleash the Beauty - Peel off the Tape from the Protected Areas when the Paint is Dry.
- Polish it up - Use a small brush to tidy up any spots where paint may have seeped under the painter's tape.
- Tidy up: Properly dispose of all materials.
This amazing home remodeling DIY project of painting an accent wall checks both boxes of being very rewarding and a DIY project that can be completed over Memorial Day weekend. As long as you have the home remodeling supplies you need and follow the steps above, your finish this project successfully.
You got this! And if anything, you can always hire a home remodeler if the home remodeling project becomes too overwhelming.