DYI Projects > Power Wash Your Home
Memorial Day DIY Project: Power Wash Your Home
Let's power wash your home! When it comes to power washing your home over Memorial Day, this simple DIY pressure washing project can leave your home with amazing benefits that you probably have never thought about.
Benefits to Power Washing Your Home
We've listed the top benefits to power washing your home, and they include:
- With the help of power washing, your home can sparkle with a new shine! Get rid of any dirt or grime that may have dulled its appearance and add significant value to your property by boosting its visual appeal. A brighter exterior is sure to draw admiring glances from passersby!
- Treat your home to a power wash for longer-lasting surfaces! It's an easy way to keep siding, decks, and driveways in pristine condition. Wash away dirt, grime, and other buildups so mold or mildew doesn't have the chance to take over; it could save you from costly repairs down the line.
- Power washing can provide a breath of fresh air for your home! Removing mold, mildew, and other airborne allergens helps protect the health of everyone in the family, especially those with allergies or asthma. A single power wash session could free you from respiratory worries while opening up new possibilities to breathe easier.
- Perfectly clean outdoor areas are just a power wash away! Get rid of harmful bacteria and germs from your decks, patios, sidewalks, and more with an effective deep cleaning. Protect yourself against unwanted microorganisms by giving these surfaces the attention they need for optimal sanitation.
- Power washing is more than just a way to give your house and outdoor area some sparkle; it's also an effective tool for making routine maintenance, such as painting or staining, simpler. By removing dirt buildup that can inhibit the adhesion of paint or stain products, power washing sets you up with the best possible surface, so all those hard-earned efforts on improving your home don't go to waste!
Ok, so now you know the benefits of power washing your home, it's time to actually get to work!
How to Power Wash Your Home
Don't over think this! DIY projects link power washing your home can be a simple and straightforward process. But first things first, let's gather the pressure washing materials. Below, find the materials needed to easily power wash your home.
Pressure Washing Materials Needed
- Power Washer
- Safety Gear
- Cleaning Solution
- Extension Cords
- Garden Hose
- Accessory Nozzles
- Bucket, Scrub Brush, and Cleaning Rags (Optional)
Now that you have the pressure washing materials, let's move to the fun part- actually power washing your home. Follow the simple pressure washing steps below and you'll be finished in no time.
Steps to Power Washing Your Home
Keep in mind that these steps to power wash your home may vary depending on the size of your project. Ready? Ok, let's do this!
- Before you grab your power washer, make sure to protect any outdoor furniture, decor, and electrical outlets. Move items away from the area intended for washing and cover delicate plants and light fixtures with plastic or drop cloths—all so they remain safe from flying water droplets!
- With the right connections, you can bring your power washer to life! To get started, plug it into an electricity source and attach a garden hose for access to water. Then prepare yourself for some serious cleaning action!
- Before taking on a big project with your power washer, start off by giving it a test run in an unobtrusive spot. Make sure to take the necessary precautions—adjusting pressure and nozzle settings if needed—so you can be confident that everything will go according to plan when tackling larger areas!
- Get your cleaning supplies ready and dive into a deep clean! Spray or brush on some of the manufacturer-recommended solution to dirty surfaces, then sit back as it works its magic. Leave it for the suggested amount of time before finishing up with your scrubbing routine.
- Wash away dirt and debris with the power of a pressurized stream! It's easy: hold your wand at an angle to start spraying from top to bottom. Remember, make those strokes overlap for optimal cleanliness—no lingering grime allowed here! when working on vertical surfaces? Start downward first before going up. Last step? a thorough rinse off afterwards, so all you see is shining perfection underneath.
- If the surface still has any lingering grime or residue, go ahead and give it another round of cleaning and power washing—until everything is pristine!
- Complete the cleaning process by giving the area an extra rinse with fresh water to eliminate any remaining dirt or soap. Let it air-dry completely before restoring items you shifted out of place.
This amazing pressure washing DIY project of power washing your home checks both boxes of being very rewarding and a DIY project that can be completed over Memorial Day weekend. As long as you have the pressure washing supplies you need and follow the steps above, your finish this project successfully.
You got this! And if anything, you can always hire a power washer if the pressure washing project becomes too overwhelming.